Posted by Thomas Gomez on 2022 Apr 5th
5 REASONS WHY YOU NEED A MDT BOLT KNOB
MDT offers some very cool, purpose-built products to optimize your rifle system and make shooting easier and more efficient. An excellent product and one of my favorites is the MDT Bolt Knob. The MDT Bolt Knob is available in two versions. A clamp style requires no permanent modifications to the bolt or bolt handle, and the other is a threaded version that simply screws onto a 5/16-24 bolt handle.
The clamp style MDT Bolt Knob is available for the Remington 700 (right-handed), Tikka T3/T3X, pre-2019 Ruger American Centerfire, Howa 1500, and Savage (not compatible with Axis or Tactical) rifles. The clamp style MDT Bolt Knob fits over an existing bolt and is secured by a pair of screws.
The threaded style has an aluminum core and an outer polymer shell. It is designed to screw onto a 5/16-24 thread. Bolt handles can come from the factory pre-threaded, or can be threaded by a gunsmith or machinist.
Both styles are available in Black, OD Green, Gray, and Flat Dark Earth.
ADVANTAGES OF THE MDT BOLT KNOB
The MDT Bolt Knob is larger than a factory bolt knob. The increased size and ergonomic design have a lot of advantages.
- The MDT Bolt Knob allows for faster manipulation of the bolt. This is important on the competition field or when you need a quick follow-up shot or a second-round correction on target.
- If you wear gloves due to inclement weather, the design and size of the MDT Bolt Knob allows for a solid purchase and manipulation of the bolt handle.
- For law enforcement and the military who may suffer an injury in the line of duty, being able to cycle a bolt may be the difference between success or failure. A larger bolt creates more leverage and allows one to cycle the bolt without requiring fine motor control.
- Individuals with pre-existing medical conditions like neuropathy, musculoskeletal injuries, and arthritis will find it easier to cycle a larger bolt than a smaller bolt.
- Children and shooters with small hands will have an easier time cycling and unlocking the bolt on a rifle. The increased leverage provided by a larger bolt allows a small-statured individual to stay on target while cycling the bolt instead of breaking their position to utilize larger muscle groups.
MDT Bolt Knob retails for $29.95 and is available here.